Monday, March 28, 2011

Shape Trolling Attempt

I've been drawing robots and robot parts for something I'm working on, and I realized I lacked some variety. So I attempted looking for shapes to build off-the-beaten-path designs. At least that's how I started. But being at the park, pulled by watching over my daughter's play-time and socializing, I veered into my usual subjects. This were drawn as well as standing up and walking would allow. I'll save the visual construction experiment for my art laboratory blog at a later time. For now, here's what I got.
It starts well enough, gathering objects, such as the scooter, lamp, park bench, a lizard on the wall, a child's toy wheeled horse, another lamp, and lo and behold, the expected interruptions made me veer from my initial purpose. I spotted an older lady, walking around the loop, all decked out. I drew the lady without her age showing because my daughter demanded attention. Then, during some more kid socializing, I caught this little one, sitting at the gazebo, playing with his mom's iPhone, while she exercised. This is also a common sight, and in my humble opinion, one of the currents faults of our society. Electronic babysitting.
I tried getting back on course, drawing a lamp fixture, but the silly blackbirds with their mating dance caught my attention. Then I got my daughter to stay around her little friends, playing in the jungle gym, and found myself looking at the gazebo structure. This was perspective torture, but I enjoyed fighting with what my eyes saw, and what my hand drew, standing up. It reminds me of why rulers exist, and that I should attempt these things at a desk. I had to move various times, but tried getting the same position to keep what perspective I could in my view. It was a struggle. I just decided to fake the lines a bit because the structure itself was interesting. I'm going to have to try this one with a little more preparation at a later time. This attempt is missing a lot of the gazebo as a whole, and it is really "juicy". Whomever designed it has a ball with decorative architecture.
And that's how I failed to get "seeds" for my robot designs. I should know better than to go with a strict purpose to sketch at the park, and will remember this next time. Hope you liked these little images. Any practice I get is good practice. Thanks for dropping by, and have a great art time!

No comments:

Post a Comment