Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Park People Getting Toony

Today's park sketches were hard to do. The two 7 year olds with me wanted more attention than usual, so after my first two attempts at drawing some of the walkers and runners doing laps at the park, I decided to get loose and cartoony. I tried sketching while walking once again, and forgot about my friend's advice to draw from the elbow or shoulder. Thanks Josh! (@Joshbauman on Twitter). Kind of hard to keep from just using the wrist while walking. I did stop for seconds at a time to catch lines for faces and bodies, but the whole thing, while entertaining my charges, was fun to do, and since my attention was all over the place, it didn't matter.
On the first image, I was trying to get that man walking, but the girls were at it, so that walking lady reflects my shift towards cartoon-like representation. After that, the rest was quick crazy fun to draw. They're assorted faces. At the bottom, this lady was sitting on a bench, watching the baseball team practice. There's a pretty elaborate ballpark right there, perhaps the reason this park is so well kept, and popular.

The second scan shows one groovy 40ish woman caught while stretching before her run, a quick glance at another walker to her right. Then there was a lady walking along with her partner, having a fun conversation by her looks. And finally, I couldn't resist to include these nice portly ladies doing their part on the road to fitness. They're my favorite. Its inspiring to watch folks like these two. I say, no matter what shape you are in, walking is what makes your body work, and your body will thank you for it. You notice this if you spend most of your time sitting at a desk. Your body really needs motion for it to work properly. Like they say "If you don't use it, you loose it". Kudos to these two brave souls. And that goes for the older set too, walking for fitness.
I hope you like these little 'toonified folks, and maybe get inspired to wind your body mechanism every now and then. It works. Thanks so much for dropping by, and have a great art time!

1 comment:

  1. This is only the first step. The next step is to let go of the model and draw its features onto a pose you've drawn from imagination, a so-called gesture drawing. This gesture drawing can still be based on a real person, only it doesn't have to be the person you're drawing. Mixing and matching observations to suit your needs.

    You seem to be on your way to that. I'm not yet there, because I still don't like to draw in public, or be in public.

    ReplyDelete