Friday, February 11, 2011

Lost in Space

Hey there! Getting back to sketching after a long week. I had started this one two days ago, and didn't get a chance to hit the pencils until tonight. But no matter. Any time to sit down and draw, is good.
I wish I had my elementary school days drawings of this famous robot from the Irwin Allen TV series "Lost in Space". I remember making sure I was in front of the television whenever this show aired. It is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and ranked right there with "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" . I wanted to be Will Robinson so bad that I bugged my parents enough to get me one of those turtle-neck shirts with the collar trim, almost like Will's. Who cared if my island's climate made it too hot to wear. I didn't have the official toys, but almost every pretend space playing I did had to do with Lost in Space. Today I see those hard to get robot models of B9, and I still want one. "Danger Will Robinson, Danger".
I hope this brings memories to those who shared those TV times, and curiosity to those that like sci-fi. This was one of those things I really wanted to draw now that I'm more serious about art. I hope you liked it. Have a great art time, and let those memories of the past express themselves through it. It's good for you.

6 comments:

  1. You know I love this! Ya gotsa! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how times have changed. Nowadays, we demand a faster pacing in our tv series, more thing going on at the same time as well. We are just spoiled with CG. Series don't last long either and are canceled at a whim of the accountants department, for not being an instant hit with the audience. This tv series had to grow on you. You needed to suspend your disbelieve and use your imagination. Something which you hardly see anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kevin! You know it!
    Rene: I miss the simplicity of that too. And the fact that you had to use your imagination. Instant gratification thwarts opportunities to learn and grow on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that is great!

    I have a miniature sized "Class M-3 Model B9, General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot" sitting on my 'puter desk right now!

    I am a huge fan of Irwin Allen the producer of "Lost in Space" and other great shows "Time Tunnel" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "Land of the giants" and classic disaster movies of the 70's

    ArrrOOooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I've got a link of a model maker that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Lots of Irwin Allen models.
    http://www.mikesmodels.mysite.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this sketch while doing a Google search and wow! Nice job - luv it.Would it be okay to use it for my blog with a link back to your blog of course?
    I had just posted Masudaya's YM-3 robot on Toys and Stuff but could make an addendum to the post:

    http://toyconnect.blogspot.com/2014/09/masudaya-robot-ym-3.html

    Many Thanx! - Ed

    ReplyDelete