Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Loomis Heads - Will They Ever End?

Yes, I know. Even more Andrew Loomis heads for practice.  A few of these a day will hammer down the principles. These are from page 22 of "Fun With A Pencil". The impulse tells me to forge on because they will teach me something. I've learned there are many methods to draw heads. Let's call them "tricks" or "recipes". So far I know of 2 methods (actually 3 because 2 of them are Loomis' own). I'll branch out and test others that my good art buddies have pointed out too, but for now, its Loomis! These kind of take me back to my dad's younger times (at least that's how I associate it). Nostalgic style, yet proven basic lines. I'm also learning to draw tilted heads. Can't wait to draw heads that don't belong to older men, though. I do like that first one. Thanks for dropping by!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to tell you that your work is looking good. I do love that old style cartooning =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jono! It's fun to try out Loomis' methods, and more fun to have finished practice pieces with that old style cartooning. Doing it to learn, and to see how I use what I learn in my own pieces.

    ReplyDelete