Friday, September 10, 2010

Loomis Blocks

Today I went back to "Fun With A Pencil" by Andrew Loomis, for some practice. And here's some process too. His variation this time teaches that using "blocky" construction shapes, one can achieve more character or personality on these heads. I've included construction lines/shapes in the 1st scan.
Then fleshing out the features in the second image. For the third image, I erased my work until faint, and went at it with darker lines. I've varied the original models a little bit, and was tempted to give them a good personalization, but time got the best of me.
This was page 23. The next page is is titled "Blook Poses", which corresponds to the first Loomis drawing I posted as "Mr. Blook". The following section is all about expressions. I have a feeling I'm going to have fun with that one! I hope you liked these.Thanks for dropping by!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that prescriptive learning in blocks seems to work for you. I seem to learn best by tinkering and intuitively approaching a subject, and less by a structured approach. This means I progress in bursts, rather than gradually. You seem to prefer a structured, logical approach, and a more gradual progression, as Loomis seems to want his students to do.

    While I jump around like a wildcat, you should probably stick more around. Keep doing Loomis. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rene! Glad you liked these.
    Exploring methods here, I think I'm intuitive too, I'm going through these exercises in order to adopt the methods that work for me too. So far, I'm not partial to any of these methods, but being foundations, I'm looking for the effects that these structures can have on a finished drawing. So far, its pretty neat. I think I'm intuitive as well, but enjoy the experimentation. So far I officially know of two methods for heads: Matt Archambault's overlapping ovals (http://drawingtutorialsonline.com), and Loomis. Ah, and a "Blitz" book I had a long time ago, from a kit: "How To Draw Blitz Cartoons" by Bruce Blitz.
    All in all, its a trip trying to assimilate all these ideas, while learning to draw so many things. I'm really enjoying it.
    Thanks again for your great comment, Rene!

    ReplyDelete