Thursday, November 25, 2010

30Char #23 - Mrs Mills

And here's entry 23 for the 30 Character Challenge, (Underground edition). Steady as she goes, catching up in numbers. I should post entry 24 some time today, and if I'm lucky, 25 will see the web tonight, while Thanksgiving festivities go on. But I may be in a food induced comma, so I can't guarantee that last one. Still, I'm not going to let the backlog grow like it did before.

Mrs. Mills lives in the village. She spends her time tending her garden, and keeps to herself, but on Tuesdays she takes a stroll down to the village market. Folks don't talk with her too much. There are stories floating around that she's a witch. Of course, folks do believe them because of her looks, but the truth is that she's a very nice lady. The few people that know her, defend her at every turn. If you look into her eyes you'll find that there's a caring heart in that old soul. She doesn't mind her fame because most people leave her alone. But her habit of singing to the plants in her garden every full moon don't help dispell the stories at all. Nice lady.

I seem to have a knack for drawing old people, or at least they come out whenever I'm doodling a face. I think its because of some practice drawings I did a while back that tended to use old cartoony folks, which I really enjoyed, while practicing from reference in a Loomis book. I had to color this one with pastel chalk pencils because the linework kind of buried the piece. I think it makes it pop enough to be acceptable. Practice practice!

For more characters through this month, drop by the 30Character Challenge web site, or visit some of my great artist friends to see their characters. You'll really like creations by Kevin Cross, Bob Learned, Christopher Tupa, "Jahhdog", and George Ward. This is a great way to explore creativity, and possibilities. It is also a fun way to practice.

Thanks so much for visiting. Drop by for more during this month. You can follow me on Twitter, just click on gonzalexx, or subscribe to this blog, if you like. Well, that's all for now, and as always, have a great art time!

No comments:

Post a Comment